Monday, June 1, 2015

Story Time

The power of a story

When you wish upon a star,
of magic lands and fairy dust,
sleeping princesses, good and evil.
Seven dwarfs, midnight rides,
sailing the 7 seas, and killer bees.
Pirates! Rrrrrrr, my booty. You: walk the plank!
Flying elephants, flying boys: bang-a-rang!

Shadows lost, magic bean stalks and angry dragons.
Under the sea, Kingdom of Atlantis,
talking monkeys, crying Giants,
chocolate factories: Oompa Loompa,
I have another puzzle for you.
I do believe in fairies, I do, I do!

Weepy princess kissing frogs,
I tell a lie my nose will grow.
Miracles and mean girls who gaff.
Witches who eat children;
children who are heroes.
Rodents of unusual size,
as you wish.

Poison apples and magic beans,
houses made of sweets.
Emperors, kings and pharaohs:
distant lands, around the world...
Down the rabbit hole,
Tick tock, tick tock:
we're all a little mad.

True love's kiss, chockey chockey: don't be bad.
Tricks and treats, spells and tales
overcoming feats and fears.
Monsters who smile and inspire.
Love stories to make you cry;
silly stories to make you laugh;
adventures that make you brave.

A Cat in a Hat; a tortoise and a hare;
A Sleeping Beauty.
My best friends: Alice, Ramona, Jack, Charlie, Harry and Peter Pan.

A Magic School Bus;
a mirror on the wall,
Humpy dumpty had a great fall.
Princess Bride... meet a Princess and a Pea.
Whistle while you work,
parties, masquerades and dancing shoes.

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.
A Journey to the Center of The Earth, a Jungle Book.
A maiden as white as snow,
One with hair as yellow as corn silk.
Rapunzel, Matilda, Ariel, Buttercup and Beezus too.
A Big Friendly Giant.
Oh, the places you will go.
Neverland, Wonderland, Oz, Hogwarts and Narnia.
A far off place, away from here,
Where the Wild Things Are:
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!


I wrote this after talking to a teacher about how most kids don't want to read because it is like a chore and boring... I wanted to emphasize to kids that reading is anything but boring. Try reading to a kid and ask him or her to close their eyes and just let their imagination go.

No comments:

Post a Comment