Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Plant dem seeds, watch dem spread.

As a Peace Corps Volunteer, it is grilled into you, for your long term sanity, that if you plant a seed (the work we do) you will never get to sit under the tree's shade (see the results). I have always been okay with this, understanding that working with children, you won't see the end results until they grow up and make choices about the way they will live their lives. Will they continue on and go to secondary school or university? Will they pick up a needle and choose to do drugs? Will they choose to raise a family and teach their children to read, about proper hygiene, acceptance and to love all creatures big and small? Will they choose a life of crime?

Fact is, we don't really know how any of our lives will turn out. People come in and out of our lives all the time planting these little seeds. I can't pin it to one particular seed that made me who I am today. It is each person who has come into my short life that has made me who I am. My hopes, fears and joys are shared with my friends. My family taught me discipline, respect, and showed me how to love unconditionally. My teachers guided my values, and encouraged socialization, teaching me more than just reading, writing and math. My colleagues have taught me team work, compromise and communication. The reality is, there is no one person that makes a person who we are. Everyday we learn something new from someone; everyday we make choices that could change the direction of our lives. So whether these children turn out good or bad, it won't be because of me alone; it will be because of all of the people in their lives.

I would like to think that the seeds we plant within the kids we work with as Peace Corps Volunteers will ultimately flourish, not withering up and disintegrating shortly after we leave. As we all know, seeds need careful attention, care and nutrients to blossom. When we leave after our service is up, what will happen to these seeds? This is, I think, every volunteers fear... will what I spent two years on matter? As I approach my close of service, it is my hope that the seeds I have planted will stay deeply rooted and will find what they need from their community, teachers, and friends, who have also received their little seeds.

The other day a parent came into school to volunteer in the school library. We had a very interesting conversation that clarified for me, that even though we volunteers may not be able to see how the children will turn out, we are making a difference in their lives NOW, and in the long run, that is all that matters. She informed me that she hears her child and his friends always talking about this Miss Aly lady, and how Miss Aly always helps them pick out books and helps them and is so nice. How I comment on their school work and tell them good job, even if I can't tell what they are drawing, or if they can't spell something correctly but tried their best. She sees changes in her child.

Then she told me a story that while it kind of blew my mind, and showed me that seeds can be replanted by the most unlikely of little ones. One day, she was in her yard and she heard one of my little girl students telling her mom, "Mommy, why do you beat me? It is because you don't love me isn't it? But that is okay, because I have a miss who loves me." The mother replied, "Who is this miss?" Student: "Miss Aly". Mother: "Well she doesn't know you are bad." Student: "Yes she does. And when I am bad she tells me I am bad and tells me how to be good. She doesn't need to beat me. She loves me." I don't know the response of this parent, but I can imagine it stopped her in her tracks and provided a moment of reflection. Her child just made her think.

The parent volunteer told me that overhearing this conversation got her thinking and started a conversation with her sister about how she believes many Guyanese parents raise their children. The children had replanted some seeds of their own! She said she now sees clearly that many parents in her sphere think that the role of being a parent is to provide, "food, clothes and send them to school,” and their work is done as a parent. But seeing this interaction between the little girl and her mother, coupled with the joy in the kids faces talking about their school work or books, or hearing about the small attentions I give to them at school, made her understand that there is more to being a parent than providing the bare necessities. She said these interactions made her realize that being a parent is about taking care of their happiness and their little souls, guiding them morally and showing them you love them and care, whether they do good or bad. She told me that she wanted to give back to her son to show him how much she cared about him, and one small thing she could do was help in the library, a place he loves. With this attitude, I can already see that her tree will be strong, and I know that her son's tree will grow up strong and beautiful, nurtured and loved. It would be plausible that many others who pass through the library and come into contact with her will continue to be cared for under her shade and love.

So we may not see the end result of the seeds we are planting, but we must push on and plant as many seeds as we can, in as many places as we can. You never know who will replant some seeds of their own, and where. With the grace of whatever higher power is out there, some seeds will grow strong and powerful and provide shade and protection for those that aren't yet strong enough to care for themselves. Since we are all interconnected, impacting everyone we come across, in some way, it makes sense that we should all strive to be unconditionally accepting, be utterly kind and patient, be a mentor, a friend, a shoulder to cry on, an empathetic ear, be someone's teacher or their personal hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment