Tuesday, June 14, 2016

I am Everyone

In response to the attacks on Pulse in Orlando the other day, a lot has been running through my mind. Being so far from home I feel a bit outside of what is going on;  I am seeing news articles and stories through facebook or websites and it just feels so strange and disconnected. My heart is heavy over another senseless attack on innocent, defenseless, good people. I feel so overwhelmed and helpless when I keep hearing about something like this happening. Our generation has GROWN UP hearing, seeing or living through horrible people doing horrific things in the name of "insert ignorant, racist or hateful excuse here" (oklahoma city, unibomber, 9/11, kids killing kids at schools, shootings at military bases, movie theaters, concerts or other random shootings, Boston Marathon bombing, terrorism abroad, the list goes on & on, unfortunately) and it beats us down. It needs to stop and we need to stand up to violence and hate.  In order to do this, when life and sadness beats you down, it is important to build yourself back up SO YOU CAN BE STRONG and therefore STEADFAST in your BELIEFS. From there you can go about your day confidently, spreading love, acceptance, and kindness. We cannot sit idly by when words or acts of hate happen. We need to teach our children/nieces/nephews/neighborhood kids love and acceptance so the next generation doesn't have to see what we have seen... or worse, grow into the people we fear. Not only Believe that love is more powerful than hate, but emulate love in your lives and love will prevail.

Thinking about Orlando, a lot of people have talked about being united and standing together in love and solidarity. With this concept in mind, and expanding on the "single story" and stereotypes I talked about in May of last year (see earlier blog post), I wrote a little something something about how I was feeling.


Dear Haters,

I am Gay; I am Straight.
I am Black; I am White.
I am a Muslim; I am a Christian.
I am Poor and Starving; I am Rich and Well-off.
I struggle to Learn; I am Smart as can be.
I am a Slut who Loves Sex; I am a Prude Saving Myself for Marriage.
I am a Woman; I am a Man.
I am Tattooed and Pierced; I am Straight-Edge and Clean Cut.
I am Young and Foolish; I am Old and Wise.
I am Old and Helpless; I am Young and Thriving.
I am a Soldier and a Veteran; I am a Peace-Loving Hippie.
I am a Democrat; I am a Republican.
I am Shy and Reserved; I am Outgoing and Friendly.
I am Fat and Hungry; I am Thin and Full.
I have Scars and Marks that run deep; My body is Unblemished and Pure.
I am Ugly on the Outside; I am Beautiful and Desired.
I have a Disability Standing in my Way; I am Unstoppable and Successful.
I am Ostracized, Persecuted and Hated; I fit into a Neat, Safe little box, Accepted.

I am all of these things,
Some you don't see,
When you look at me.
You search through my face,
pick through my box;
You stick a label on me -
She must be something you say?
But these identities you can not see-
They exist in my heart;
In every friend who has touched my life;
In every loved one who has supported me;
In every encounter that has challenged me;
In every stranger who has struggled to be free;
In every person that has taught me to love;
I claim their Label; United, I Am all of Them.

No need to label my box with just one thing;
But as haters do, if you feel you must, remember this:
I bleed red;
They bleed red;
You bleed red.
Label my box Human;
Label their box Human;
Label your box Human.

Sincerely,
Acceptance

No comments:

Post a Comment