Wednesday, October 14, 2015

peace corps pet(s)

Well, some interesting developments have occurred since moving to my permanent site in East Canje, Berbice. As most of you know, I adopted a little kitten, who I named Bora (Guyanese for string bean). Bora wandered into another Peace Corps volunteers yard one day when she was a tiny kitten. I think she decided she didn't want to be a stray and felt there was something more out there for her. I am so grateful Matt & Kathrina took her in and asked if anyone wanted her. She has quickly adapted to life with a human: she loves to cuddle, play with her toys, enjoys food whenever she wants, and is even blessed with filtered water, a luxury that many Guyanese don't have access to. But she is more than just a cat living in my home. She has been my rock in times of isolation, loneliness and adaption. She has made me laugh countless times, is sweet and loves to bounce around HER house. She also loves to wake me up a few times a night by l jumping on me and licking my face. Sometimes I have the pleasure of waking up to a cat tongue sticking up my nose. Always a pleasant reminder that someone loves you.
But alas, our duo wasn't meant to be. I went to 63 Beach with some volunteers this weekend. After swimming in water the color of chocolate milk, and getting bit or stung by some unknown creature (seriously), we decided to head home. On our way, we encountered two puppies. I was immediately drawn to the caramel colored puppy sitting in the bush. I barely noticed the one that ran up to us and lay on its back belly up. My friend started feeding this puppy chips, and the other one stayed away. It was then I noticed the white/tan puppy with a black snout. I pet her and her tail went crazy with excitement. She rolled over and let me rub her belly... Certainly strange behavior for a stray. I scooped her up, expecting her to struggle and took a few steps. I saw her submission and immediate trust as a sign that she was destined to have a human, and that human was me. She lay in my arms as if she had found peace and protection. That afternoon at my friends house (as that is where I was staying), she snuggled with me in a hammock and followed me around everywhere. Two baths later, 30 ticks removed and plenty of belly rubs, she too, like Bora, has adapted to life with a human. She has even, in just a few days, grasped the concept of fetch.
Now if only I can get Bora to like her new friend, life at the animal farm would be perfect.

2 comments: